This article is sourced from Benji’s Sonshine Studios. He is the author and copyright holder of the tutorial.
Today, we’re going to teach you a pro trick, the portrait photography poses 3-2 technique.
After learning this 3-2 posing technique you’ll have a new photography trick that will add that extra “wow” factor to your photographs. Note: Some call this the 1-2-3 technique.
What is the 3-2 Posing Tips Technique?
The 3-2 technique is a method of posing female models in a way that is very pleasing to the eye. Its also a technique that draws a pleasing short light pattern on the face – which is always desirable!
How Do I Apply the Portrait Photography Poses 3-2 Technique?
This trick is also known as the photograph 1-3-2 technique. Here’s how you do it:
- Have your subject sit down with their body, face and eyes straight aimed straight at you.
- Then, have the person turn their body, face and eyes at a 45 degree angle away from you to the left or the right – whichever is more flattering for your model.
- Next, have your subject turn their head back to look straight at you.
- Then, tell your model to turn and additional 15-20 degrees past the point of looking right at you.
- Finally, have the person bring their eyes back to look at you.
You now have mastered the portrait photography poses 3-2 technique! The body is in the #1 position, the face is in the #2 position, and the eyes are at #3. This trick can be used for all types of portrait shots: head shots, wast up, full length poses and more.
When adding studio lighting to this set up you want the light to be aimed toward the back of your subject. Since your model is turned away from the light source, but then turns their face back toward the light, it creates a pleasing short light pattern on the face in this position.
More Posing Tips
We’ve got more useful posing tips for you! Read this two part series we put together for you: